University of Notre Dame
The University of Notre Dame is accepting applications for a Hospitality Manager to work and live at its research and retreat property at Land O’ Lakes, on the border of Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. This property of 7,000 heavily-wooded acres with roughly 30 lakes serves as the home of an undergraduate research program, year-round grant studies, and a center of retreat for the University. The area’s lush vegetation and placid waters invite visitors to leave daily anxieties behind to be enveloped in the serene, natural beauty. The property has also been the site for several gatherings of historical significance, including a meeting of Catholic university leaders in 1967 which produced a document that has come to be known as the Land O’ Lakes Statement.
If the idea of leading and directly providing a high level of hospitality in the hosting of University of Notre Dame leaders, faculty, students, and visitors sounds like a job you would love for years, then we want to speak with you about this unique opportunity. We are looking for someone with a strong service-oriented mindset, experience in hospitality and events, an ability to thrive in a remote setting, and a strong appreciation for the unique Catholic mission of the University of Notre Dame.
You will work and live in a beautiful setting and enjoy the full benefits (insert link) offered to all University of Notre Dame staff and faculty. Specific responsibilities include:
- Host University retreats for guests, including Catholic priests and University leaders. This includes menu planning, assisting with meal preparations, serving meals and socializing with guests.
- Coordinate lodging of guests and ascertain in advance any guest preferences or restrictions with regard to housing or meals.
- Hire, schedule, and supervise kitchen and cleaning staff to maintain a clean and hospitable environment for guests.
- Assist Property Manager with financial, clerical and other duties as needed.
We are also accepting applications for the next Property Manager (insert link to posting) for the Land O’Lakes property and have a strong preference to hire a married couple to live onsite and fill both the Hospitality Manager and Property Manager roles.
Finally, we are accepting applications for the next Housekeeper/Cook (link) for the Land O’Lakes property. The person in this role will not live onsite.
Land O’Lakes Property
The Land O’Lakes property is a multi-use property with over 35 buildings, including dormitories, labs, faculty and executive residences, and office space. The use of the property is primarily segmented into retreat and research functions. As a research facility, the property is intended to remain as pristine as possible to allow for uninhibited research.
The property is largely unspoiled and scores of plant, fish and animal species thrive. Forests thick with green run for miles in every direction, interrupted only by a small network of gravel roads and streams; a dozen or so lakes of all sizes shimmer with a vibrant blue, while just as many bogs, with their heavy, black-as-tar water, sit much more still; eagles soar high above the trees, while scores of deer prance between them; and on most nights the stars are so plentiful that they paint the charcoal sky nearly white.
Land O’Lakes offers students an amazing introduction to the world of biological research, provides scientists with a perfect setting to continue unlocking the secrets of nature and gives retreat guests from the University the chance to marvel at the beauty of nature and the significant role the property has played in several historical settings.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience managing people and finances
- Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize tasks for a team
- A service-oriented mindset
- Excellent communication and social interaction skills.
- Experience in northern climates.
- Ability and desire to thrive in an isolated environment
- Understanding and commitment to environmental research and the environment.
- Understanding and commitment to University of Notre Dame values and mission
- Experience in hospitality and events
To apply, visit: https://jobs.nd.edu/postings/16412