Rosemont, IL (April 2010) – One of Chicagoland’s newest luxury destination hotel, the 560-room InterContinental Chicago O’Hare, is going above and beyond in its quest to lighten businesses’ impact on the environment. Not only does the sophisticated, design-forward property utilize 100% renewable energy credits from wind, but the eco-savvy InterContinental Chicago O’Hare also features a green roof, recycles all materials used throughout its hotel and convention area, and helps businesses and weddings support sustainability with its “Green Meetings” program and green weddings offerings.
“The InterContinental Chicago O’Hare is dedicated to significantly lessening our carbon
footprint on the earth, as well as raising awareness in our community about the importance of preserving our natural resources,” says David Hall, general manager of theInterContinental Chicago O’Hare. A contemporary destination for business and leisure travelers alike that opened in September 2008, the property is managed by Portfolio Hotels and Resorts, which also operates one of the first LEED-certified hotels in the U.S.
The InterContinental Chicago O’Hare’s eco-savvy measures include:
• Green roof is covered with a reflective coating that significantly cuts down the
• building’s cooling costs, and also home to drought-resistant plants Utilizing 100% Renewable Energy Credits from wind via Constellation New Energy
in Baltimore, MD. This is equal to saving more than 390,000 gallons of gasoline annually and removing 631 cars from the road.
• Energy-efficient Lighting (Lighting costs cut approximately 40% by using compact fluorescent light bulbs,dimmable fluorescent bulbs, and LED lights).
• Property-wide recycling of all glass, paper, cardboard, batteries, aluminum, and compact fluorescent bulbs, including recycling containers in all guest rooms.
• Biodegradable water bottles made from corn are placed in all guest rooms and are available for group meetings and events.
• Organic or sustainable food options (seafood, free range chicken and pesticide free beef), wine and beer.
• InterContinental Chicago O’Hare’s management and associates are committed
to the hotel’s “I CARE” program, which stands for, “I Care, I Conserve and replenish the Earth”, a partnership with the local community to create awareness of energy efficiency and the environment.
• Water conservation fixtures such as toilets, faucets and showerheads.
• Environmentally-sensitive purchasing practiced by Executive Chef and staff.
• “Green Meeting Package” – Meeting and event planners can participate by selecting organic and sustainable local meals, recycled paper and pencils, LCD projectors and screens, biodegradable water bottles, biodegradable centerpieces, and other amenities.
Located five minutes from the Chicago O’Hare International Airport, the InterContinental Chicago O’Hare is near the Allstate Arena, Rosemont Theatre, Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, and is convenient to McCormick Place, Chicago’s Loop, world-renowned shopping, and fine dining.
About The InterContinental Chicago O’Hare:
The InterContinental O’Hare offers a variety of entertaining and cultural experiences that set it apart from its competitors and increase guest loyalty. The hotel attracts leisure travelers, business professionals and local residents alike. With an acclaimed art gallery cared for by three professional curators, three on-site restaurants including McCormick & Schmick’s and The Capital Grille, and the new live music venue, Montrose Room, the InterContinental O’Hare is in a league of its own among large hotels in the area and offers entertainment that rivals the best in the region. For more information on the InterContinental O’Hare, visit www.icohare.com or call 847/544-5300.